What is a ‘reference period’?
A ‘reference period’ is the period of time over which the working time is averaged.
Self-employed drivers must know in advance when the reference period starts and ends for calculating working time.
Three options are available for selection as a reference period on agreement with employees:
- a fixed 17 successive week period
- a fixed 26 successive week period
- a rolling 17 week period
Default Reference period;
- 01 January to 01 May = 18 weeks
- 01 May to 01 September = 17 weeks
- 01 September to 01 January = 17 weeks